October 15 1975

Aunt Martha keeps talking about Holloween. She says that church doesn't like it but it's a day for children like me and Ricky to pretend we are someone else. And that is fun. I did not say a word when she said that but I already feel like someone else. My practice is good. But I don't like staying in the house with her all day and my teacher is nice but he looks at me funny. Like when I see pictures in my head and I go away for some time and he says I need to stop the day dreaming.

When Ricky comes home sometimes I ask him why I can't go on the bus with him and he doesn't talk right away. He waits and then scratches his head and says he doesn't understand. He says sometimes he wishes he could stay home too. But then he says maybe because I am new and she doesn't want to lose me.

I don't think Ricky knows more than I do. But he's still my friend.